The interuniversity research group “Domenico Losurdo”, belonging to the Department of Humanities of the University of Urbino, announces – together with the Istituto Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici, the Internationale Gesellschaft Hegel-Marx für dialektisches Denken and the journal “Materialismo Storico” – a contest for the assignment of three prizes for scholars and researchers, for authors of unpublished monographs, degree theses or essays concerning the thought, work and method of Domenico Losurdo.
The prizes have been funded by the fam. Losurdo, the Department of Humanities of the University of Urbino and the Istituto Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici.
The prizes will be given on March 2023, at the University of Urbino, on the occasion of the Third edition of the seminar “Dialectics and Human World: From Domenico Losurdo Onwards”. The seminar will be inaugurated by prof. Francesco Fistetti, (University of Bari “Aldo Moro”). On that occasion, the winners will present their theses and discuss them with the research group and the guest lecturers.
Art. 1 Selection criteria
Participants must not exceed the age of 40 years at the deadline for submitting
2. The texts must be unpublished and drawn up not before 2021.
3. The languages that can be used are: Italian; German; English; French; Spanish; Portuguese.
4. The expected amount is 1.000 euros for the first place, 600 euros for the second, 400 euros for the third place.
5. The thematic areas of the papers must be the following:
a) Nietzsche as postmodernist, Nietzsche as precursor of National Socialism or Nietzsche as “aristocratic rebel”? The interpretation of Will of Power, Eternal Return, Übermensch and Apollonian/Dionysian through philology, hermeneutics and historical-political reading.
b) War, Peace, Non-Violence in a changing world. The issue of democratizing international relations – Liberal Democratic imperial idealism and geopolitics of power.
c) Liberty and Rights of Moderns – Libertas maior, libertas minor, conflict of Liberties.
minimum length of the text must be 50.000 characters including spaces.
7. The deadline for the application and abstract (about 2/3000 characters) is 15th July 2022. The deadline for the full text is 31th December 2022.
8. The prize will be awarded by a commission made up of members of the “Domenico Losurdo” research group and a member of the Istituto Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici. The award of the prize will be based on the following criteria:
a) ability to grasp the complexity of the issues addressed by Domenico Losurdo and to deal with them in an original and not merely repetitive way; dialectical attitude and balance in the historical-political approach to philosophical questions;
b) command of the scientific method of philosophical and political historiography;
c) comparison with national and international literature;
The Commission will identify the work to be rewarded with a reasoned and unquestionable judgment. In the event that none of the received text proves to be appropriate, the prize will not be awarded. In the event that the texts judged as appropriate should be lesser than 3, the Commission may decide to assign a number of prizes lower than established in the call. In the event that no text is clearly more valid than the others, the first prize can be divided into two lower prizes.
Art. 2 Requirements and rules for participation
Commission will not consider incomplete applications and/or applications
received after the deadline.
2. The application form must be sent by e-mail to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org ; the application must have as subject: “Application form Domenico Losurdo International Prize III Edition”.
3. In the application form, the candidates have to include directly in the body of the e-mail the following data:
place and date of birth;
address, telephone, e-mail;
University and Degree Course attended (if it is already obtained);
in the event of obtained graduation: year of graduation,
title of the thesis, speaker and co-supervisor, date of discussion of the thesis and grade obtained (or equivalent qualification);
possible certificate of Ph.D and information on the related thesis;
curriculum vitae with possible research experiences and publications;
the scanned copy of a valid identity document must be attached in PDF format.
4. In the
application, the candidates must indicate in which of the thematic areas
indicated above (art. 1.5) their paper is placed.
5. The application and the abstract must be sent no later than 15th July 2022.
6. By the closing date of the competition, 31th December 2022, the full text must be sent in PDF format to the following address email@example.com indicating as subject: “Text for Domenico Losurdo International Prize III Edition”.
Art. 3 Processing of personal data.
The disclosure required by art. 13 of the “Codice in materia di protezione dei dati personali” (Decreto Legislativo 30th June 2003, n. 196) is available on the website of the University of Urbino at the internet address: https://www.uniurb.it/ateneo/identita/portale-web-di-ateneo/privacy-e-cookie-policy In any case, pursuant to Article 13 of Legislative Decree No. 196 of 2003 and subsequent amendments, the personal data transmitted by the competitors will be processed by the “Domenico Losurdo” research group exclusively for the purposes of managing this procedure and any award procedures in question. The communication of such data is mandatory for the purpose of assessing the participation requirements, under penalty of exclusion from the selection.
Art. 4 Advertising and safeguard rules
This notice will be published on the following websites:
Interested persons will find information on the timing of the evaluation and the awarding of prizes on the home of the aforementioned sites.
The winning candidates will be contacted by communication at the e-mail address indicated in the application. Selected works and other works judged to be interesting will be published in the journal “Materialismo Storico”.
For further information write to: firstname.lastname@example.org